This Travel SEO guide provides detailed information on the importance of SEO for your business and how to start growing through better search engine rankings.
What is the best way to increase bookings and sales on my travel blog or website? The ultimate answer is through travel SEO, which contributes to your growth in an effective and sustainable way. Travel SEO describes the process of optimizing your travel website for Google and other search engines.
Why do you need a Travel SEO guide?
If you are new to SEO, you will first need to know what it is and how going through this process will help your business grow. Why would you spend any time in this?
#1 – Increase website traffic
Travel SEO optimizes your travel website in a way that gets more traffic for you. It helps you rank higher on Google’s result page for specific keywords that are relevant to your website. For instance, when I type “book a hostel room in Berlin” in Google, the best SEO optimized websites will appear first in the results page (also known as “SERPS” – Search Engine Results Page). This will certainly bring in more qualified visitors, who are already looking for hostel rooms in Berlin and are willing to spend money. Based on a Google study, more than 60% of Leisure Travelers and 55% of business travelers start their travel booking process through Google and other search engines.
If you are not ranking on the first page of results, chances are that you are missing out on the majority of leads who are looking for your services, and who end up going to one of your competitors as a result. The above graph tells you that despite the existence of websites like Airbnb, Trivago, Expedia, and the likes, people still prefer to start researching on Google.
#2 – Cheaper and more effective than Pay-per-Click
Some Travel website who are not ranking on the first page utilizes Google AdWords and other similar platforms to rank as a “Sponsored result”. This is the perfect way of getting more traffic, fast, but it is much less cost-effective than SEO, since once you stop paying for PCC, you stop ranking for those pages, and traffic will decline. With SEO, however, once you get a good ranking, the higher targeted traffic will continue to come 24/7. Even though SEO isn’t necessarily cheaper, it is the investment you should do, considering its long-term impact.
#3 – SEO can transform your business
Your business model will change significantly the moment you start getting the first increased traffic and conversion from SEO. The continuously increased traffic through better rankings will make a difference for your travel website.
I see the benefit now, but how would I do SEO on my Travel website?
There are numerous ways to optimize your website. Before achieving your objective of increasing the traffic to your travel website with the help of SEO it’s important that your page itself is crafted in a way that it gives users the information they need and keeps them keen in analyzing it more thoroughly, encouraging them to click through to get in touch or place an order.
To achieve this you need to direct your attention in accomplishing an all-encompassing optimization of your online channels. Check the following specific actions to be taken for better online presence:
- Optimizing your website for mobile is a great way to start. 80% of internet users own a smartphone, and the percentage of people starting their research on a search engine via mobile has increased to 51% in the first quarter of 2018. Also, 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly-designed mobile site. There, you do the math! Are you willing to lose costumers by ignoring this important factor? Definitely scary to risk. By making your website accessible on technologies other than computer screens, you increase the chances of visitors spending more time on your website.
- Creating an attractive website design and structure which speaks to your brand’s image and the quality of your products/services. It’s the first impression your customer gets about you so you need this online representation to be fresh.Your web design should be navigational and give accurate answers to your targets questions. Your homepage should be neat and accessible with a simple yet powerful design.
The details of your contact info and sitemap accessibility should take place in your secondary navigation. A great idea for an effective and navigational site is hyperlinking keywords among the content of your web.
This way your SEO will profit because hyperlinks enhance your linking profile and add structure to the content. Also having a search function in your web is a real blessing for the visitors who want to get straight to the point.
If you want to keep your visitors keen on your site you got to make sure your website is:
- Loads fast
- Has quality images and
- No futile pop-ups.
- Organize your content in a way that is easily accessible and readable by the audience. Bullet points help a lot. They make your content easy to read and understandable. For example when you publish the essentials of your travel guide information add the:
- Location: X
- Duration: X days
- Price: $ X
- Departure: X hr
- Arrival: X hr
But that’s not all; you should make your content authentic and unique, by using a friendly and simple language, avoiding content duplication. A travel SEO guide helps you perform a qualitative analysis of all the content on a website and suggest possible improvements.
Your content strategy might also suggest a content audit which after performed will:
- Keep content that is relevant – getting a lot of traffic and conversions;
- Improve content with the potential to either get more traffic or more conversion from the existing traffic;
- Merge content with backlinks that are competing for the same keywords as another higher ranking piece of content on the site;
- Remove content with no links, traffic or conversions;
- Localize your address – Local SEO is the process of optimizing your website so that it appears in the first positions of Google, Bing, and Yahoo for searches that are related to your area/city/country. You need your address to show up for local listings in Google maps and interact with the local market making it easier for your customer to reach you.Local SEO uses a variety of strategies for getting your site ranked on search engines like Google and business directories. Including local SEO in your travel SEO guide services will help your agency:
– Capture potential customers
– Provide potential customers with the info they want
– Drive more traffic through online lead
– Drive people’s decisions in favor of your business
- Create a Blog – The number one search results get the most traffic, so having non-mediocre and attractive content isn’t enough. Your content needs to be SEO driven, with the right keyword selection that works like a magnet to your desired traffic.If you don’t have a blog, launch it as soon as possible and if you already have one make sure you maintain it well going back to old posts and re-edit them. Consider these tips for a better blog structure:– Sophisticate your titles and make them more clickable – Titles, powerful headlines are those that capture the attention for further reading. If your titles and introductions are compelling chances are bigger for your readers to stay interested in reading further.-Add relevant beautiful images – Loads of traffic is driven by images, so make sure you entitle your image wisely using common name patterns. Choose the right image size and dimensions. A compressed image means better load speeds and that means a better user experience. Do this and you will have an improved travel SEO guide.
- Pick the Ideal Keywords – You’re a travel guide and thus you need to navigate your customers that are searching for your services online. Understanding the route your customer take to arrive at your destination and the purpose behind the key phrases which searchers use will make sure that the content on your landing, category pages, and your blog are catering to the destined market.Be specific but diverse in your keywords. A good SEO Travel Guide comes with long tail keywords that answer accurately your costumers’ questions and searches. Luckily finding the intended keywords is quite easy, meaning you can quickly apply these phrases into your strategy.First, you have got to source the data and then use the numerous available keyword research tools such as Google Adwords, and SEMrush.
- Create titles that speak directly to your audience– Good examples of this can be for instance:
“Top 3 romance destinations” or “The perfect resort to enjoy your spring break”
You can use these type of posts to let your users know what promotional offers you have for specific occasions and periods of the year. They will create engagement and will make your travel company website a go-to place when customers need inspiration.
Notice how the titles used above are very specific. Long Tail keywords are also a great technique to develop travel SEO. Long Tail keywords are basically very specific expressions which users type in a search bar when they need specific information.
Creating such content narrows down your customers’ choices and increases their chances to find out about your company.
- Build Links from Trusted and Authoritative Sources
Link building is a huge aspect of travel SEO. Get yourself mentioned in authoritative and influencer travel sites that include information about your agency will help you build trust, grow your social following and drive sales.
Try getting links from genuine blogs, but that doesn’t mean you should pay for links on numerous sites created just for SEO. Whenever you contemplate whether a link is worth it, ask yourself if it will be useful to your audience.
When you’ve reached your objectives with influencer marketing, automatically you get significant extra opportunities for building backlinks. Links are a major factor for page ranking via google search.
When cooperating with bloggers to guest post, product review or other types of collabs, a new link is almost always guaranteed back to your site.
- Create Social Media ProfilesOptimize your social media profiles to claim the most out of your travel guide potential. Almost everyone has a social media profile, and whether you love or hate it, you have to be present in as many social media channels as possible is better for your visibility.Pages like Google plus, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter do impact your search engine rankings. Be active and proactive on your social media profiles and your SEO travel guide will be positively affected.
The travel industry is popping and full of competition, and they’re all doing their best to rank first. Keeping in mind that 93% of the online experiences start with a search and 95% of natural clicks come from page one of Google” should be a good starting point for you to consider embracing the tips coming out of this travel SEO guide. Its implementation may look like it’s complicated but it’s really not, especially when you realize its highly efficient and it actually may be the missing piece of your marketing strategy which is proven to generate high profits for your agency. So, be cautious and use it wisely for the best outcome and fruitful results.